1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 medium onion diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon red curry paste
1 teaspoon brown sugar
4 cups vegetable stock
5cm fresh ginger root, peeled and cut into chunks
5cm lemon grass, smashed
2 tablespoons fish sauce
400mL can coconut milk
350 grams medium prawns, shelled and deveined
1 jalapeno, sliced plus more for garnish
1. In a medium pot over medium heat, add the oil and onions. Cook stirring until onions are translucent (about 5 minutes).
2. Stir in the garlic, cumin, curry paste and sugar. Cook for an additional minute.
3. Stir in stock, ginger root, lemon grass, peppercorns, jalapeno, cilantro and fish sauce. Bring mixture to a boil.
4. Reduce heat and allow to simmer for 30 minutes.
5. Remove from heat, strain (discarding the solids) and return the strained broth to the pot over medium heat.
6. Stir in coconut milk, shrimp, mushrooms and lime juice. Cook until the shrimp is completely cooked through (about 5 minutes).
7. Serve immediately garnished with cilantro and jalapeno slices if desired.
Recipe and photo courtesy of the Salted & Style